top of page


Q. What is J-1 visa?

J-1 is for exchange visitors. The J-1 classification (exchange visitors) is authorized for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training. 


Q. What kind of programs does J-1 visa provide?

In carrying out the responsibilities of the Exchange Visitor Program, the Department of State designates public and private entities to act as exchange sponsors. J-1 nonimmigrants are therefore sponsored by an exchange program that is designated as such by the U.S. Department of State. 


These programs are designed to promote the interchange of persons, knowledge, and skills, in the fields of education, arts, and science. 


Q. What are examples of exchange visitors?

Examples of exchange visitors include, but are not limited to:

  • Professors or scholars

  • Research assistants

  • Students

  • Trainees

  • Teachers

  • Specialists

  • Au Pairs

  • Camp counselors


Q. Could you explain Application Process for J-1?

The U.S. Department of State plays the primary role in administering the J-1 exchange visitor program, so the first step in obtaining a J-1 visa is to submit a Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, (formerly known as an IAP-66). 


Your sponsoring agency will provide you this form. You should work closely with the officials at your sponsoring agency who will be assisting you through this process.  An official who is authorized to issue Form DS-2019 is known as a responsible officer (RO) or alternate responsible officer (ARO). Your RO or ARO will explain to you what documents are needed in order to be issued a DS-2019. 


After you have obtained a Form DS-2019, you may then apply for a J-1 visa through the U.S. Department of State at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The waiting time for an interview appointment for applicants can vary, so submitting your visa application as early as possible is strongly encouraged (though you may not enter the United States in J-1 status more than 30 days before your program begins).


Q. Can J-1 visa holder get an employment opportunity in the US?

Some J-1 nonimmigrants enter the United States specifically to work while others do not. Employment is authorized for J-1 nonimmigrants only under the terms of the exchange program. Please check with your sponsoring agency for more information on any restrictions that may apply to you working in the United States. 


Q. Can J-1 visa holder bring their family of J-1?

Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age, regardless of nationality, are entitled to J-2 classification. Your spouse and children are entitled to employment authorization; however, their income may not be used to support you. To apply for employment authorization as a J-2 nonimmigrant, your spouse or child would file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

Please feel free to email me directly at I’m your US immigration lawyer and happy to help you today. Thank you for visiting our website.

bottom of page