top of page


K visa is U.S. Citizen Petition for a Fiancé(e).


Who may petition

As a U.S. citizen, you may petition to bring your:

  • Fiancé(e) (K-1 visa) and their children (K-2 visa) to the U.S. so you may marry your fiancé(e); or

  • Spouse (K-3 visa) and their children (K-4 visa) to the U.S. to apply for lawful permanent resident status.



Filing for Your Fiancé(e)

Generally, petitioner may file this petition if petitioner and petitioner's fiancé(e):

  • Are legally free to marry and intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s admission to the United States; and

  • Have met each other in person within the two years immediately before you filed this petition, unless you establish that either:

    • The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would violate strict and long-established customs of your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice, and that any and all aspects of the traditional arrangements have been or will be met in accordance with the custom or practice; or

    • The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would result in extreme hardship to you.


Status Expiration

-Fiancé(e) status automatically expires after 90 days and cannot be extended.

-Your fiancé(e) must leave the United States at the end of the 90 days if you do not marry.

-If your fiancé(e) does not depart, they will violate U.S. immigration law.

-This could affect their future eligibility for U.S. immigration benefits and may result in removal (deportation).


Filing for Your Spouse

You may also file this petition if you have filed or are filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative on behalf of your spouse and want them to enter as a nonimmigrant to await the immediate availability of an immigrant visa and to file for adjustment of status.

If you have children with your spouse, they may have acquired U.S. citizenship through you.


How to File

Petitioner must:

  • Read the Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) Instructions;

  • Complete and sign Form I-129F;

  • Pay the filing fee, if applicable; and

  • Provide all required evidence and supporting documentation.


After You File

Once USCIS receives Form I-129F, petitioner will receive a: 

  • Receipt notice confirming USCIS received your petition;

  • Biometric services notice, if applicable;

  • Notice to appear for an interview, if required; and

  • Notice of USCIS decision.


If you have any questions, please let us know today.

Thank you!

bottom of page